meta name="p:domain_verify" content="8b08da541f8a920e6 Marie Z Johnston: David's Banana Cake with Mocha Frosting

Sunday, December 12, 2010

David's Banana Cake with Mocha Frosting

I love the internet.  The other night a friend called me from Cincinnati...
"Hey! You going to that book signing at La Cuisine Paris?"  
"What book signing" I asked.
"The one with David Leibowitz and Alexander Lobrano... jeez."
So, I went. After all, Christmas is around the corner and autographed books make such great gifts.

It was quite the evening... Jane and Olivier (of La Cuisine) were gracious, helpful hosts. They were quite pleased with the turn out since, having recently relocated from their former location in the 5th, they're eager to show off their fabulous new digs.  Their new place on the Quai de l'Hotel de Ville is quite charming not to mention that it's located along a block of intriguing old style cafes you can't help but want to frequent.
  

The place was packed when I arrived... the lovely Meg Zimbeck, Barbara Austin and Camille Malmquist were there in support of their fellow writers, and the line for the book signings ran the entire length of the room. So, after saying hello I wove my way through the crowd, stood in line, bought my books, had them signed and headed home on the 70 bus. This gave me plenty of time to leisurely peruse David's new book Ready for Dessert, okay... so I fell in love.


This evening my daughter and I made a single layer version of the banana cake with mocha frosting.  It has these candied nuts (we used hazelnuts since we didn't have peanuts) on the top and is moist beyond belief without being heavy.  Delicious.  I ate 2 pieces.


The recipe is available at a few sites on line, but truthfully... you need this book.  I'm generally not all that fond of desserts - they tend to be too sweet and heavy after a meal.  Well, let's just say that the photos alone in this book make me want to eat dessert instead of the meal, and that's saying a lot.

A bientot,
Marie Z 

La Cuisine Paris is located here:


No comments: